DUNU HULK Review
The Versatile Cable for Extreme Flexibility
DUNU was originally an OEM/ODM manufacturer established in 1994 and focuses on development, manufacture and marketing of professional earphone and ear bud products. DUNU’s manufacturing plant is located in Dong Guan City, Guangdong, China.
The DUNU HULK that I will now review for you is a High Purity OCC (Single Crystal Copper) cable with the DUNU patented “Quick Switching Connectors”.
I would like to thank DUNU for providing me this sample for review purposes. I am not affiliated with DUNU beyond this review and these words reflect my true and unaltered opinions about the product.
The actual price for the DUNU HULK OCC Cable is 299,00 USD and can be purchased from the link below;
Purchase Link: https://penonaudio.com/dunu-hulk.html
Package and Accessories:
The DUNU HULK is coming in a pretty flat and very stylish black box, which is wrapped with a cardboard that is shows the images of the cable and its connectors on the top and technical specifications oat the back of these box.
The main box has the DUNU logo on the top and features a nice textured surface.
This box is including the following contents/accessories;
- 1 pcs x DUNU HULK OCC Cable
- 4 pcs x DUNU Quick Switching Connectors (1x 3.5mm TRS, 1x 3.5mm TRRS, 1x 2.5mm TRRS & 1x 4.4mm TRRS)
Design, Fit and Build Quality:
The DUNU HULK is a visually very attractive “Handmade 4-core braided” cable with a multi stranded cores that features a T2 Litz structure. The HULK is made of high purity OCC (Single Crystal Copper), while the sub-core is made of 168 pieces of OCC copper wire. The diameter of the cable is 22 AWG/Core and cable features the DUNU patented “Quick Switching Connectors”, which makes a very quick switching from one connector to the other possible.
The nicely braided cable is covered by a high quality insulation which is in brown color.
The DUNU HULK is available in to connectors IEM connector variants which are the MMCX (Micro Miniature Coaxial Connector) and the 2 Pin version with 0.78mm diameter.
My review unit came in the 2-Pin variant and features a black plastic housing with Left & Right markings.
The cable sports on both sides flexible (transparent) ear guides, which offers extra comfort for longer listening periods.
This cable features also a very stylish y-splitter with carbon fiber patterns and glossy metal parts on both ends. There is also a metal chin slider with a glossy finish.
As I have mentioned before, DUNU HULK cable is coming with the patented “Quick Switching Connectors”.
The package is including 4 of them, which are the 3.5mm TRS, 2.5mm balanced, 4.4mm balanced and 3.5mm TRRS variant.
Each of these connectors is easily changeable and has a auto-lock feature. This provides a convenience switching from one device to another.
The overall build quality of the HULK is “Rock Solid!”
- Model : HULK
- Structure : T2 Litz Structure
- Wire Diameter : 22 AWG/Core
- Material : OCC Single Crystal Copper (168 pieces of OCC wire)
- Plug : Self-Locking “Quick Switching Connectors”
- Cable : Handmade 4-Core Braided
- Cable Length : 1.2m (+/- 0.1m)
- Connector : MMCX or 2-Pin 0.78mm
Equipment’s used for this review:
IEM’s : HiFiMAN RE2000, CA FIBAE Black, Tansio Mirai TSMR-3 Pro
DAP&DAC’s : iBasso DX220, QLS QA361, Cayin N5II, xDuoo XD10 Poke
Albums & tracks used for this review:
- Liquid Tension Experiment 2 – Acid Rain (Flac 16bit/44.1kHz)
- Opeth – Damnation (Wav 16bit/44kHz)
- Metallica – Sad but True (Flac 24bit/96kHz)
- Megadeth – Sweating Bullets (Flac 24bit/96kHz)
- Slayer – Angel of Death (Flac 24bit/96kHz)
- Elton John – Your Song (Flac 24bit/192kHz)
- David Bowie – Black Star (Flac 24bit/96kHz)
- Dave Gahan – Kingdom (Flac 16bit/44.1kHz)
- Eric Clapton – Unplugged Album (Flac 24bit/96kHz)
- B.B. King – Riding With The King (Flac 24bit/96kHz)
- First Aid Kit – My Silver Lining (Flac 16bit/44.1kHz)
- London Grammar – Interlude (Live) (Flac 24bit/88kHz)
- Aretha Franklin – I Say a Little Prayer (Wav 16bit/44.1kHz)
- Diana Krall – So Wonderful (DSF)
- Laura Pergolizzi – Lost On You “Live at Harvard and Stone” (Wav 16bit/44.1kHz)
- Rush’s – Leave That Thing Alone (Flac 16bit/44.1kHz)
- Gogo Penguin – Raven (Flac 24bit/192kHz)
- Otto Liebert& Luna Negra – The River (DSF) – Binaural Recording
- Vivaldi – Le QuarttroStagioni “The Four Season” (Wav 24bit/88kHz)
- Armin Van Buuren – Vini Vici (Spotify)
- Lorde – Royal (Flac 24bit/48kHz)
- Tom Player – Resonace Theory (16bit/44.1kHz)
- Massive Attack – Angel (Flac 24bit/192kHz)
- Portishead – The Hidden Camera (MP3 320kHz)
I have tested the DUNU Hulk in general with the HiFiMAN RE2000, Custom Art FIBAE Black, and Tansio Mirai TSMR-3 Pro In-Ear Monitors and want to share now my impressions for this cable in terms of changes/improvements compared to the stock cables of those IEMs.
The DUNU Hulk is a cable that improves the depth and control of the bass, and that adds smoothness and lushness to the midrange and that gives extra clarity & control to the treble region.
Bass / Midrange / Treble:
The DUNU Hulk has some important effects to the bass. It is adding more depth and emphasis to existing bass. So, if you want an increase in dept, quantity and extension the DUNU Hulk is a good choice.
The DUNU Hulk is also a cable that is adding some extra fullness compared to the stock IEM cables I have listened during this review. This is especially pleasing for instruments such as the contrabass and the bass guitar, which need a bolder tonality. The Hulk is adding also percussion instruments a slightly more emphasis, warmth and sharpness.
The DUNU Hulk have doesn’t changed the bass speed of the In-Ear Monitor I have try with it.
The DUNU Hulk is very compatible with In-Ear Monitors that are showing a V shaped sound signature, because it’s improving the midrange extension and makes the midrange presentation more upfront. The midrange presentation in combination with the DUNU Hulk is more musical and smooth and shows also additional clarity and airiness compared the stock cables.
The vocals have a very sweet tonality that I have really enjoyed.
The instruments have a good body, fullness and clarity, while it is adding slightly more bass to the guitars. The violins and pianos have a softer timbre and fatigue free brightness.
The DUNU Hulk is adding the instruments a fuller and more musical tonality.
The DUNU Hulk shows a controlled, soft and slightly warm upper midrange character. The upper midrange transition of the IEM’s I have tested with it are not negatively affected and doesn’t showing any additional sibilance or harshness.
Instruments like flutes, violins and female vocals presented with slightly better emphasis and extension in the in the upper midrange.
The treble range of the DUNU Hulk sounds smooth, musical, clear and slightly thick in tonality.
The DUNU Hulk doesn’t changes the treble quantity dramatically compared to the stock cable and makes some small additions to the treble quantity, extension and intensity. If the treble of the IEM is a bit too high, it becomes more controlled and musical. When the treble is a bit low, the DUNU Hulk will slightly increase them.
The DUNU Hulk is a cable that adds more width, depth and air space to the soundstage of your IN-Ear Monitor. That’s why the details in the background become more pronounced, which is a remarkable feature of the Hulk.
DUNU offers with the HULK upgrade cable remarkable improvements in the sound quality and a very high compatibility with any source thanks to the patented Quick Switching Connectors. The HULK has improved the depth and control of the bass, and clarity of the midrange. It offers also extra fullness & control in the treble range and is expanding the soundstage in a positive manner. All this features are offered for a very competitive price, which makes the HULK to an excellent choice in this price category.
Pros & Cons:
- + Remarkable Improvements of the Sound Quality
- + Subbass Depth and Extension
- + Additional Clarity and Fullness in the Midrange and Treble Region
- + Soundstage Improvements
- + Quick Switching Connectors
- + Premium Build Quality and Packaging
- – None