Penon HiFi Balanced Adapter Cable Review
Penon HiFi Balanced Adapter Cable Review
About Penon Audio:
Penon Audio is a well known Hong Kong based online store that is selling portable Hi-Fi equipments, desktop type DAC’s and Amplifiers.
The Penon HiFi Balanced Adapter was provided to me by Penon Audio for review purposes. I am not affiliated with Penon Audio or any third person beyond this review and all these words reflect my true and unaltered, opinions about the product.
The Penon HiFi Balanced Adapter Cable is a “Penon Exclusive” product and is available with the following connector variants;
- 4.4mm Balanced Male to 2.5mm Balanced Female
- 2.5mm Balanced Male to 4.4mm Balanced Female
- 2.5mm Balanced Male to 3.5mm Balanced Female
- 3.5mm Balanced Male to 4.4mm Balanced Female
- 3.5mm Balanced Male to 2.5mm Balanced Female
- 3.5mm Audio Male to 4.4mm Balanced Female
- 3.5mm Audio Male to 3.5mm Balanced Female
- 3.5mm Audio Male to 2.5mm Balanced Female
The price of the adapters varies between 28.90 – 29.90 USD (4.4mm adapters costing 1,00 USD more).
The purchase links for these adapters is bellow;
Package and Accessories:
The Penon HiFi Balanced Adapter Cable comes in a plastic box which has a sticker on the top that shows the “Penon” branding, the illustration of the adapter and some technical detail of the actual product.
At the backside of the box is a second sticker that shows the available adaptor variants and the adapter which has been purchased.
Inside the box are the following items;
- 1 pcs x Penon HiFi Balanced Adapter Cable
- 1 pcs x Penon Velvet Pouch
- Material: 8 shares 19 cores silver plated OCC wire (Single Crystal Copper)
- Plug: 2.5mm balanced, 3.5mm Balanced, 4.4mm Balanced, 3.5mm Unbalanced (Gold Plated)
- Cable Length: 8-9cm
Design and Build Quality:
The Penon HiFi Balanced Adapter Cable for Earbuds, IEM’s, DAC’s, DAP’s and Amplifiers.
The cable is made of 3 parts; the male connector (headphone plug), the OCC wire and the female connector.
The cable of the adapter has a braided design and is made of silver plated OCC wire which is a Single Crystal Copper material. This cable features 8 cores and each core has 19 strands.
The cable wires have a nice TPU insulation which is transparent.
The sample I have received has a 4.4mm Pentaconn Balanced male headphone plug and a 2.5mm balanced female connector. The connectors and plugs are protected with a nice CNC machined metal housings.
Each of them features a transparent plastic strain relief for extra protection.
The cable is 8-9cm long and is showing a great craftsmanship.
Equipments used for this review:
- Adaptors : Penon HiFi 4.4mm/2.5mm Balanced Adapter Cable, Astrotec AT-P02
- 4.4mm/2.5mm adaptor, MEE audio 4.4mm/2.5mm Adaptor
- Cables : DUNU Hulk and iBasso IT01S cable with 2.5mm Balanced Plug
- DAPs/DACs : Sony WM1A, FiiO Q5s
- IEM’s : iBasso IT01S, HiFiMAN RE2000
I have read before that adaptors are showing differences in sound performance and indeed there are differences between other adaptors. Now I want make some short comparisons with the Astrotec AT-P02 4.4mm and MEE audio 4.4mm adaptor.
Penon HiFi Adaptor:
The Penon HiFi adaptor shows the highest transparency and clarity level among those three adaptors. It has a slightly better instrument separation than the Astrotec AT-P02 adaptor. The midrange sounds crisper than the AT-P02 and has less warmth and body compared to the MEE Audio adaptor.
MEE audio Adaptor:
The MEE audio 4.4mm adaptor has a tad warmer and fuller tonality compared to the Penon HiFi and Astrotec AT-P02 adapters. It sounds slightly less crisp than the Penon HiFi adaptor and is fuller in the midrange compared to the Astrotec AT-P02. The MEE audio adapter has the smoothest treble presentation.
Astrotec AT-P02 Adaptor:
The Astrotec AT-P02 adaptor is a tad warmer in tonality compared to the Penon HiFi adaptor and shows a slightly better instrument separation than the MEE audio adaptor. The AT-P02 has a tad more midbass impact than the Penon HiFi adaptor but is slightly less in quantity compared to the MEE audio adapter.
The Penon HiFi Balanced Adapter Cable is a nice looking and very well made adaptor solution that you can use with your Earbuds, In-Ear Monitors, Digital Audio Players, DAC’s (Digital to Analog Converters) and/or Amplifiers.
Pros and Cons:
- + Lots of Adaptor Variants
- + Great Build Quality and Appearance
- + Nice Velvet Carry Pouch
- – None